I think every family is in need of a good pizza recipe, don't you agree? We try to make pizza at least once every two weeks for a few reasons - it's economical, it uses up the almost-expired veggies and left-over meats living in my fridge, AND it is the one meal where I know I won't have to encourage Jackson to eat "everything on his plate". Pizza is one of his true food loves, and he happily digests whatever tops the baked goodness we put in front of him.
One of the things I love about making pizza mid-week and not just on the weekend, is that we always have enough dough and toppings to make extra za, which I then turn into lunch for the next day. Cooking once for more than one meal, is my favourite way to cook.
With Rob on dinner duty once a week, he decided to take over our pizza night with a "Club" Pizza. I made the thin, whole wheat dough which he topped with tomato sauce, spinach, bacon and chicken. A slight variation on the original sandwich, but close enough all the same. A little roasted garlic oil was added to the mix, and once baked we were all noshing on some delicious thin-crust pizza.
Tell me, do you make pizza at home? If so what are your family's favourite topping combinations?
Chicken Club Pizza
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
1 1/2 cups of cooked bacon, torn into small pieces
1 1/2 cups of baby spinach
1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
2 tbsp garlic or chili flavoured oil
1 recipe of pizza dough (recipe to follow)
- Pre-heat to oven to 500 degrees. Using your favourite cookie sheet, flip it upside down and lightly oil the bottom of the pan (you will bake your pizza on this)
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce on each piece of rolled out dough. Top with 1/4 cup each of the chicken, bacon and spinach and then drizzle with 2-3 tsp of flavoured oil.
- Bake each pizza for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2-3 cups of warm water
- 1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Combine 2 cups of warm water and yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes, or until the yeast is frothy.
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer, or in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and honey to yeast mixture, and pour into the flour.
- Using a dough hook, or your hands, mix together the ingredients until the dough is smooth and springy. Add more water if necessary. Knead for approximately 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into six small balls and lightly dust the tops and bottoms of each ball with flour
- Cover with plastic wrap and place on a wooden counter or cutting board and allow to rise for 1 hour
- Roll out each piece of dough into an 8" circle
- Follow your favourite pizza recipe