Here's a surprising revelation....entertaining at home needn't be complicated!
Whether you're hosting a baby or wedding shower, family bbq or lunch for a group of eight year olds, cucumber cups are a quick and easy vessel for an array of tasty bite-sized foods.
Simply wash your cuke, cut 2"chunks and hollow out with a small spoon or mellon baller. Fill the centre of the cucumber with your favourite goodies and voila - easy peasy hors d'oeuvres in no time at all.
Here is a list of how I like to serve these cups:
- Filled with tuna salad - they make a great alternative to a sandwich for a group of kiddies (and believe it or not some kids prefer the cucumber skins to the insides - I speak from personal experience on this one)
- Fill with plain or roasted red pepper hummus and top with a piece of basil. For an extra special presentation, use a star tip and pipe the dip into the cucumber cup.
- Fill with a tomato or corn salsa and dollop of sour cream
- Hollow out 4" long chunks of cucumber and fill with gazpacho or a nice chilled soup.
- Combine cooked and chopped shrimp, lemon, garlic and parsley for a shrimp scampi-esque filling. Stuff into cucumber cups.
What is your go-to secret for simple, easy entertaining?
PS - Did you know you can subscribe to Family Bites now? Click on the link in the left hand column to activate your subscription.