Christmas is one month from today. Just 30 days away. I’m going to let that sink in for a moment. Are you ready? Are you even thinking about it? As usual, I’m mostly focused on the food aspect of the holiday, and have been daydreaming about menus, baking projects, and the edible gifts I can make. After all, what’s a celebration without something delicious that’s been made with love? At least that’s what Rosie Daykin, baker and book-maker extraordinaire believes, and I’m inclined to agree with her.
Speaking of Rosie, her sophomore baking book, Butter Celebrates!: A Year of Sweet Treats to Share with Family and Friends, was released earlier this fall, and this week a group of Canadian food bloggers are baking our way through the pages in effort to show our love for both her and her work. I chose to bake the Animal Cookies because they’re adorable and completely kid-friendly, but instead of cutting them into the wild shapes that Rosie used, I made mine into miniature snowflakes, snowman and Christmas trees, a little more fitting for the season, I think.
The boys and their friends scooped up these nutmeg-kissed, one-bite sweets by the handful, and all 65 cookies disappeared within a day. I plan on making more to add to my holiday cookie platters, but you can be sure I’ll be hiding them deep in the freezer to keep my hungry boys from devouring them too quickly.
The book is cleverly divided into special occasions, each with corresponding simple-to-follow recipes, and the photography is truly a feast for the eyes. I was especially drawn to the tips and anecdotes tidily tucked into the pages. When reading them, it feels as though Rosie is in the room with me sharing her wisdom in a warm and welcoming way.
Today a group of Canadian food bloggers are celebrating Rosie’s book with a fun giveaway! Check out what everyone made for the dessert table, then enter to win a copy of the book for yourself.
- Mardi from eat. live. travel. write. made Champagne Cupcakes
- Jenny from The Brunette Baker made Guinness Cake with Pretzels
- Meg from Sweet Twist of Blogging made a Lemon Loaf
- Heather from The Tasty Gardener made Cinnamon Heart Cookies, Empire Cookies, Coconut Nest Cookies and Cookie Jar Cookies
- Libby of Libby Roach made Gingerbread Guys
- Robyn from What’s Cooking on Planet Byn made Orange Gingerbread Cake
- Tessa from Style Sweet CA made Chocolate Gingerbread Genoise
- Jacquee from I Sugar Coat It made Eggnog-less Bars
- Christina from Strawberries for Supper made ‘Hostess’ Cupcakes
- Kelly from Kelly Neil made Peppermint Nanaimo Bars
- Amanda from Once upon a Recipe made Banana Pecan Caramel Cake
- Gwen from Devour and Conquer made Pannetone
And here is the information you need to enter the giveaway - good luck to all of you!
Thanks to Rosie and the kind folks at Random House Canada, you could win a personally signed copy of Butter Celebrates! cookbook, and a box of goodies from her bakery located in Vancouver, BC.
1. Leave a comment letting me know what's on your must-make list for the holiday season this year.
2. Click this Rafflecopter link for both mandatory and optional entries - you can’t be entered to win if the contest tool doesn’t know you’ve done it!
This giveaway is open to all legal residents of Canada who have reached the age of majority at the time of the contest in the province or territory in which they reside. Void in Quebec. Winner must answer a skill-testing question. No purchase necessary to enter. Giveaway will run from Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 12:01am to Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:59pm. Winner will be contacted via email and name will be displayed on Rafflecopter widget. Email address will never be given out to any third party or anyone for that matter. Prize value is approximately $125.