At the beginning of this year I started a to-do list for the work projects I hoped to tackle in January, and four and half months later I'm finally seeing the finish line. That's pretty much the speed at which I'm getting anything done these days, so now you know why things have been a little quieter than usual around here. It's hard to admit, but I'm still trying to figure out this work-from-home-with-a-toddler business, and while I wouldn't trade the situation for anything, it's been a bit of a challenge. Having said that, I think we may have finally turned a corner in the past month. My mornings no longer start at 4 am (we've moved to 5:15 or so, a time I can handle) and after 14 months I think I finally have a baby that will take an afternoon nap. This is life changing for me. And my work. And my blog! I also have a few hours of babysitting a week, which I treasure, and it's made such a difference in my day-to-day life. I feel confident that this will translate into more blog posts and recipes, and maybe I can finally take down some of the sticky notes labelled with blog ideas that fill the wall above my desk. It would be great to finally turn them into something tangible!
On that note, here's a list of what caught my eye this week. There's also a giveaway at the end of the post that the locally-living readers won't want to miss. Have a great weekend, all!
- Wondering what to do with that chicken in the freezer? Here are 3 back-pocket pan sauces for busy weeknight suppers.
- 12 basic life skills every kid should know by high school. Hint: make a meal is one of them.
- Will chickpea water be the next kale?
- All the kitchens we've lived in.
- Is there really that much of a gap between what we say we want to eat and what we really do eat?
- Stunning celebrity kitchens.
I’m obsessed with cheese. It’s the one food I would eat exclusively (if I thought there would be no harmful side effects to my overall health) and the thing I crave more than any other. We frequently have a cheese platter for dinner on date night, and sneak it into far too many dinner dishes because we all, with the exception of Ben, can’t get enough.
Clearly others feel as passionate as we do about their cheese because The Second Annual Canadian Cheese Awards were held at the end of April. This is the only cheese competition in Canada that allows all milks used in cheese making – cow, goat, sheep, and water buffalo – to compete. For your reference, this year’s winners include:
- Cheese of the Year: Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar (which also took home Best Aged Cheddar (aged more than 18 months) and Best B.C. Cheese)
- Best Fresh Pasta Filata: President’s Choice® Formaggio di Bufala
- Best Feta/Cheese in Brine: President’s Choice® Feta Light
- Best Firm Cheese with Holes: Oka l'Artisan
- Best Old Cheddar (aged from 9 to 18 months) and Best Goat Cheese: Lindsay Bandaged Goat Cheddar
Loblaws stores across Canada are currently featuring 300-400 varieties of cheese, including the best of Canadian and international Cheddar, Brie, feta and more. To celebrate this, they’ve put together a gift basket for one Family Bites reader to enjoy. Your package will include:
- A selection of Canadian Champion + International Cheeses
- PC Black Label Artisan Crisps
- PC Black Label Fruit Spreads, Jellies, and Preserves
- Section of nuts and dried fruit
To enter, simply leave a comment letting me know your favourite type of cheese!