The last of the Thanksgiving leftovers have been transformed into dinner for tonight, and so begins what I like to think of as my favourite three months of the year. How we’ve casually reached the fourth quarter of 2017 is completely beyond me, but let’s just say I’m so happy to be here.
Speaking of happy, that’s how I feel about finally, finally, finally having the chance to pop in to say hello. Hi, friends! How’ve you’ve been?
To say the last three months have been intense would be a slight understatement, but instead of burdening you with the boring details, I’ll give you a quick synopsis of what life’s been like since July:
- I spent the summer buried in a book manuscript. It’s my least favourite season of the year so I didn’t mind being locked away in my office/bedroom for long hours at a time, but trying to do with three kids at home was quite a bit harder than I anticipated. Also, I should probably know better than to set myself up with a due date that coincided with the first day of school, so let’s just say the last two weeks of August were a little stressful for all in the Scott household.
- Ben and Jackson started grades 10 and 12 last month. For those whose kids aren’t quite as far along in school, this means university is a hot topic of conversation in our house and we’re spending a lot of weekend in the coming month taking tours of the schools Ben’s interested in attending next year.
- My Matthew began nursery school last month, something he’s still struggling to get used to. He goes two mornings a week for two and half hours each time, and while he finds our separation very sad (as in heavying sobs for a solid hour before I even drop him off) he no longer bursts into tears when I pick him up, so I feel we’re making progress. He also assures me he “had much fun at school” so I continue to feel confident that this is best for him and me.
- We’ve literally eaten nothing but one pot meals for the past four months, with hardly any barbecue making an appearance on our table this year, so I’m excited to finally have some time to cook some new food after spending most of this year testing new recipes for you to try in a year and a half (ha!).
- I have four photo shoots left for the cookbook and then all the pictures will be submitted. After that it’s the first round of edits to finalize before Christmas. Add to that my regular work and the fall continues to look busy, but much more manageable than the summer. There’s probably even time for some blogging, and a return to a special monthly newsletter I’ve been dreaming up.
- I've ditched the store-bought almond milk and have been making a few litres each week for our smoothies. You can find my basic method for doing so in the comments here. I don't think I'll ever go back to the bottle kind now that I know how easy it is to make my own.
Most importantly, I want to say thanks for sticking around during my hiatus. I think you’ll like what I have in store for the coming months, and I can’t wait to get cooking with you, and for you, again.